KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Error: Unable to lock a region of a file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genasea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Error: Unable to lock a region of a file Reply with quote

I am getting this error on a series of performance counter tests. I have several performance counter tests to several servers. Many times, all the performance coutner tests for a particular server all go into an unknown state. I edit the test, click the 'Get current value' button, and it returns this error.

Sometimes these tests are in an unknown state for hours, and other times they come and go, but when one test goes into 'Unkown' for the server, all the performance counter tests go into an 'Unknown' state for that particular server.

I am NOT using an RMA agent for the testing on said servers.

I am using HM 4.30

My server has MS Windows 2000 O/S, version 5.00.2195, service pack 4

Thank you,

Scott
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance Counter....
Ok, what I can say:

1) quote from the manual:
Quote:
Note #2 (bugs): Windows implementation of performance counters has bugs. E.g., Windows 2000 (Professional, Server, and Advanced Server editions) can produce memory leak in Pdh.dll when user (application) querying performance counter that does not exist. This bug fixed in SP2. Also pdh.dll does not work correctly with multithread applications.
That's why in HostMonitor we have implemented several different methods to work with pdh.dll:

MultiThread mode: HostMonitor works almost according to Microsoft documentation with some workaround to avoid most likely problems. HM loads pdh.dll at once and uses it all the time. This method fast because HM can start several tests simultaneously. If everything will work correctly on your system, use this method (by default HostMonitor uses this method).

OneByOne mode: Using this method HM will start Performance Counter tests one by one and reload pdh.dll every time. This method slow (when you setup Performance Counter test using Test Properties dialog program even can hang for 1-2 min) but using this method you will avoid some problems due to a buggy pdh.dll

Smart mode: With this method HM will try to detect when pdh.dll need to be reloaded.

To change mode, add line "PerfWorkMode=N" to hostmon.ini file into [Misc] section and restart HostMonitor. N is number of the mode: 0 - MultiThread mode, 1 - OneByOne mode, 2 - Smart mode

Try to use "OneByOne" mode, often it helps

2) Microsoft has several HostMonitor's licenses and they
have the same problem with PDH.DLL. So, they are trying to find what's wrong and fix the problem. Wish them luck.

3) If #1 and #2 will not help, we will need to create external utility that will get single counter, send counter's value to HostMonitor and quit. This method will take some more resources but it will be much more releable (because pdh.dll will be used just for single request).

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: