KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

SNMP Set not working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frilby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: SNMP Set not working? Reply with quote

I am trying to use the "SNMP Set" action for the first time, but cannot get it to work correctly.

Everything seems fine and all the required values are set, but if I do a packet capture the set value is always NULL, regardless of what I type into this field.

Is this a bug, or is there something else I am missing?

Cheers,
Frilby
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usually 1st question is: what version of HostMonitor do you use?

Regards
Alex
frilby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Alex...

Tried it with V5.82 and just updated to V5.86 with the same problem. Running HostMonitor as a service on XP SP2 (fully patched) and have no other issues related to SNMP get tests (do a heap of this).

Cheers,
Frilby
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked HostMonitor's code... Prior to SNMP Set request HostMonitor sends SNMP Get request to retrieve information about counter. Then HostMonitor changes counter value without changing counter type and sends SNMP Set request. If counter type is ASN_NULL, HostMonitor should not send request at all, it should records error message into log.
Strange... What OID do you use? Do you set some Windows counter (so we will be able to do the same)? Or you are working with some another device?

Regards
Alex
frilby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

That possibly makes sense in this case...

As I understand this Cisco OID feature to work (described below) the OID does nto actually exist as a readable value - it is used to trigger a TFTP copy from the device only.

We have a mid-sized Cisco network with about 15 devices that we monitor (largely via snmp) including if the configs have been accessed and/or saved.

What we are trying to add to this is the ability to automatically trigger a TFTP copy of the config from a device if the config has been saved (checked via SNMP get as the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.43.1.1.3.0 increments every time the config is saved).

This can be achieved with Cisco equipment by simply writing a string value consisting of a destination file name to the following OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.55.a.b.c.d (where a.b.c.d is the ip address of the destination TFTP server).

For example, if I write the string value "cisco-config.txt" to the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.55.10.0.0.1 this will save the current running config from this Cisco device to the TFTP server running on 10.0.0.1 (file will be saved as "cisco-config.txt".

We have tested this using a freeware SNMP utility and it works great, and if we can get HostMonitor to work as well, we can add this as an additional action to the current "config saved" check and automatically tftp the config to a file, attach it to an email and send it to an archive email address so that we can track all changes, etc made to our network gear automatically (and keep a history of configs to roll back too if required).

I hope the above info helps...

If HostMonitor initially reads the value to determine its type, can an option be included to allow you to specify an OID type (String, Integer, etc) so that if the type is specific it will use this, otherwise it will do the current read procedure first if an "automatic" or "unknown" type is specified?

Thanks for your help Alex - and hopefully there is an easy solution to this one...

Cheers,
Frilby
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added new task into "to do" list. Medium priority

Regards
Alex
frilby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Alex... Look forward to a future update!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: