CPU monitor on local computer always in unknow state

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).

Post by Guest »

I set up a standard CPU monitor and it is always in unknown state.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Sorry, I cannot give any advice because you do not provide enough information. Do you use "CPU Usage" test or "Performance Counter" test? What version of Windows do you use? These tests work on Windows NT/2000/XP only. What version of HostMonitor do you use?

Regards
Alex

Post by Guest »

I am trying the CPU Usage in HM 3.4 on Win2k service pack 2. I also have installed HM 3.4 installed in my development environment and I had no problems getting the CPU Usage monitor working in that environment.

Post by Guest »

In fact I can install 3.4 on any computer in my production network and get CPU Utilization but not on my primary web server and I cannot use the remote option from any of the working computers. It is like I have some option turned off or restricted on that one computer that I do not know about.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Probably you use account that does not have enough rights. The security on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows_NTCurrentVersionPerflib" registry key dictates which users or groups can gain access to the performance data. In order for to query performance data, account must have KEY_READ access to the above registry key (by default Administrators group has access). To change permissions to the registry key you can use the registry editor utility Regedt32.exe

Regards
Alex

Post by Guest »

System and Administrator both have read access to this key but neither work in HM. Any other suggestions?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I uploaded simple Win32 console test utility http://www.ks-soft.net/download/cputest.exe
This utility tries to retrieve information and displays error message when its impossible. Hope this error message will help to explain what's wrong with your system.

Regards
Alex

Post by Guest »

THanks, this utility confirms what I just learned as well, the one server I am having problems with cannot find the processor performance object. I am having this reinstalled, consider this closed sorry for the chase.