KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Shell-test issues on 64bit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbackx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Shell-test issues on 64bit Reply with quote

We are trying to monitor several servers at our customers.
There are windows server 2003 installations (32bit) and windows server 2008 (64bit).

One of our (custom) tests is related to Arcserve backup and getting data of the last backup back.
On the 32-bit installations (windows server 2003), this test runs fine.
On the 64-bit servers (windows server 2008) not so.

In what follows, you see a screenshot of the settings of the test.
(off course, the parameters in the actual test are more relevant and the agent is not the local HostMonitor)

The script is tested and executes just fine locally on the 64-bit machines, but when the script is executed via HostMonitor, there's an error that the script returns no result and it's executed every second in stead of every 10 minutes.

This was tested on 2 64-bit machines, both give the same result.

[edit]
Forgot to mention: the agent shows the execution of the shell-script in its logs.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The script is tested and executes just fine locally on the 64-bit machines, but when the script is executed via HostMonitor, there's an error that the script returns no result and it's executed every second in stead of every 10 minutes.

I am confused. Usually "locally" and "executed via HostMonitor" means exactly the same. Perhaps you mean "executed via RMA (Remote Monitoring Agent)"? In such case I would recommend to check timeout specified for the agent (Agent Connection Parameters) dialog.

Quote:
Forgot to mention: the agent shows the execution of the shell-script in its logs.

So, you are using agent to perform the test? Active RMA or Passive RMA?
I am confused again: why screen shot shows "Test by: HostMonitor" if we are talking about some agent?

Quote:
and it's executed every second in stead of every 10 minutes

This is really strange. Are you sure you do not use "Repeat test" action? Can we see real test settings (as I understand that screen shot does not show reality)? Could you send your configuration files for testing to support@ks-soft.net? We need HML file with tests plus all *.LST and *.INI files.
What exactly version of HostMonitor do you use? 8.30?

Regards
Alex
bbackx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have been more clear.
The only things that I changed for the screenshot, are the agent that executes the test (in real life, this is an active RMA) and the parameters (first one is an ODBC, second a password). Everything else shows what is configured.

When the script is executed directly form command line on the client server, everything goes fine. When hostmonitor is asking the RMA on that same client server to execute the script, things go wrong when the server is an 64bit installation.

I don't know where the "Repeat test" action can be configured, I'll see what I can do to send you the files you requested.

I'm using version 8.30 of HM and 4.0 of the RMA.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what about timeout specified for the agent?

Regards
Alex
bbackx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timeout for the test is 15 seconds, but I can't find any timeout settings for the (active) agent...

regards,
Ben
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no user defined timeout for Active RMA.
So, can we see your script and configuration files?

Regards
Alex
bbackx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed them to support

thanks,
Ben
bbackx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I just installed the active agent on a 32-bit system and here the execution of exact the same script gives no errors and the expected reply...

These are my results:
32bit Hostmonitor server, 64bit active agent -> not working
64bit Hostmonitor server, 64bit active agent -> not working
32bit Hostmonitor server, 32bit active agent -> working
64bit Hostmonitor server, 32bit active agent -> working

Apparently, something goes wrong when the active agent (version 4.00) is running on a 64bit windows system and has to execute vbscripts...

(PS: 32bit OS is windows server 2003, 64bit OS is windows server 2008)

Hope this helps...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the files.
We were able to reproduce and fix the problem (test execution every second).
There is update at www.ks-soft.net/download/hm833.zip
(you need to install official release version 8.32 before using this update)

Quote:
32bit Hostmonitor server, 64bit active agent -> not working
64bit Hostmonitor server, 64bit active agent -> not working
32bit Hostmonitor server, 32bit active agent -> working
64bit Hostmonitor server, 32bit active agent -> working
Apparently, something goes wrong when the active agent (version 4.00) is running on a 64bit windows system and has to execute vbscripts...

We do not see anything wrong with agent. As we see it can execute various scripts on Windows 2008 x32 and x64 just fine. We tested this many times and you may easily check this by yourself using any of Windows scripts that come with HostMonitor.

If agent cannot execute some specific script, well, this means there is some problem with the script.
E.g. some objects/classes are not installed on your system.

You may open Script Manager dialog window, remove /B command line parameter from command that executes script (e.g. use the following command line for testing cmd /c cscript /E:VBScript %Script% %Params%) then use "Test" button located on "Lets try" page to diagnose script related problems.

Regards
Alex
bbackx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been able to narrow the problem down to the opening of an ODBC connection.

The error I get when trying without the /B:
Code:
C:\Users\ADMINI~1.CRI\AppData\Local\Temp\2\TMP-11~1.BAT(33, 1) Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

Some googling told me I had to add the ODBC using c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe (which I thought I did, but apparently something went wrong ) and then everything goes fine.
Do you have any idea if there's a solution for this in the near future? Arcserve creates an ODBC by default, but it's 64bit. It would be nice if I could use this standard installed ODBC instead of adding it manually on all of the servers...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its described in the manual and HostMonitor system requirements
====================
If you are using Windows x64 Edition and you want to setup ODBC Logging or ODBC test method, you should setup ODBC datasources using 32-bit ODBC Data Source Administrator (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe).
====================
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/index-sysreq.htm

Sorry, no other solution so far. HostMonitor is 32bit application.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: