ODBC Query Hangs

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
bhugh

Post by bhugh »

I've got some ODBC Queries logging into an Oracle database and running a query, checking the value of the query and then alerting if there is a problem. It has been running for quite some time without any problems. This weekend all the ODBC queries hung and did not send out a fail alert but was stuck checking. I received the following error in the log file.

Access violation at address 77F6CE4C in module 'ntdll.dll' Write of address 00000010.

I had to kill the Hostmonitor process and restart it, then the error went away. I did not restart the server at all. I am running hostmonitor 3.18 on NT SP 5 or 6.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Found some additional information. I looked in the ODBC trace file and found the following error.

DIAG [HYC00] [Oracle][ODBC]Optional feature not implemented. (0)

Does the version of the Oracle ODBC driver have any impact. I am running 8.01.0500 of the Oracle ODBC Driver.

Thanks
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Just spent several hours on oracle.com and newsgroups try to find information about this version of ODBC driver :roll: just wasted time, too much needless information.
Of course I also have checked HostMonitor's code, it looks correctly. It uses only standard Miscrosoft ODBC 3.0 functions.
I found many different ODBC drivers from Oracle at http://technet.oracle.com/software/tech ... ntent.html but did not find some list of corrections for each version. Probably this problem already fixed..?

Regards
Alex
bhugh

Post by bhugh »

Alex,

I upgraded the ODBC driver to be in sync with the database (Oracle 8.1.5). I also upgraded to Hostmonitor 3.3.

I still periodically get errors when Hostmonitor is running an ODBC query.

I got the following from the ODBC log file. Not sure if this might help tell me what is happening.

Log Entry in sql.log (ODBC Log file)

hostmon b64:be9 EXIT SQLFetchScroll with return code -1 (SQL_ERROR)
SQLHSTMT 0x0cd95858
SQLSMALLINT 5 <SQL_FETCH_ABSOLUTE>
SQLINTEGER 1

DIAG [HYC00] [Oracle][ODBC]Optional feature not implemented. (0)

Log entry in Hostmonitor log.htm.

Error: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

H'm, SQL_FETCH_ABSOLUTE. Yes, some ODBC drivers does not support this option. HostMonitor tries to use this parameter. If driver returns error, HostMonitor use cycle with SQL_FETCH_NEXT option. Theoretically some bug in error handler (I mean ODBC driver) can be reason to failure after many calls.
Probably some option like "Do not use SQL_FETCH_ABSOLUTE" can help. I think tomorrow it will be implemented...

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Done. There is update http://www.ks-soft.net/download/hm333.zip
Just close HostMonitor, extract exe module into HostMonitor's directory, add parameter "DoNotUse_SqlFetchAbsolute=1" into Misc section of hostmon.ini file, and start HM again. Hope it will help.

Regards
Alex
bhugh

Post by bhugh »

Alex,

Put the fix in place. Haven't seen any problems yet. Thanks for your quick response. Great Product!!

Keep up the good work.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Thank you