Server Up without Server Down

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).

Post by Guest »

In version 1.78 I set send "server DOWN" emails only if test failed 2 times in a row and "server UP" email when server come back. It worked great.
I switched to version 3.26. I start receiving "server UP" emails in cases after Server was down only one time which should not change Server status to DOWN.
So I have bunch of "Server is UP" emails without "Server is DOWN". Here are my Action profile:
"Bad" status action:
Action: Send e-mail
To : a@hotmail.com
Subj: Host %ServiceComp% is %SimpleStatus%
Mail template: Page to admin
Start after: 2 consecutive "bad" result(s)
Retries: 2 time(s)

"Good" status action:
Action: Send e-mail
To : a@hotmail.com
Subj: Host %HostName% is %status%
Mail template: Page to admin
Start after: 1 consecutive "good" result(s)
Retries: 1 time(s)

Thank you.
Alex
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Please use "Action depends on "bad" one" option: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... pendsOnBad
Action depends on "bad" one
This option available for "Good" actions only. You can set "Good" action dependable on a "Bad" action. Why do you need it? For example you defined "Bad" action to send an e-mail notification to the network administrator when test fails 3 times consecutively (start when 3 consecutive "Bad" results occur), also you defined «Good» action to send a notification when the test status changes to "Good". What will happen if test fails 1 or 2 times and after this it restores "Good" status? HostMonitor will not send a notification about failure (because test did not fail 3 times) but the program will send notification about restoring "Good" status. To avoid unnecessary "Good" action execution you can mark "Action depends on "bad" one" option and select "Bad" action. In this case HostMonitor will start "Good" action only if corresponding "Bad" action was executed.
Regards
Alex

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KS-Soft on 2002-10-17 18:18 ]</font>