Cannot stop the service

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Hi everybody,

Hostmonitor runs as a service on a windows2k server (sp3).
I manage it via a TSE session. Since 2 days, i can't stop or remove the hostmon service: windows tell me HM don't send any error message in the WK2 events log when I try to stop it!!!

Without that, the server is in a good state...
i don't understand it...

Just a last problem: must I install HM in front of th server to HM runs good or can I install it trough a TSE session (administrative mode). I did it via TSE the last time and HM cannot send me any mail alert (can't interact with desktop)...

Thanks for any help...

PS: sorry for my english, i'am french :smile:
mpriess

Post by mpriess »

Alex discussed this issue in an earlier post.

He stated...

"Service CANNOT interract with remote desktop because Windows provides local desktop handle for the service. That's why you do not see HostMonitor's icon, HM displays icon on local desktop (on system where HM is started).
Yes, you can use HM in this mode. But to change configuration you have to stop service, start HM as application, change configuration, quit application, start service.
I think in future will be implemented some "remote HM manager", but not very soon.

Regards
Alex"

mpriess

Post by mpriess »

I would recommend that you install Netmeeting and use it in Remote Desktop Sharing Mode. (Instead of Terminal Services). Also, make sure to enable secure incoming calls in the options. We use this at my company and it works well.

And It's Free as well!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mpriess on 2002-10-18 13:32 ]</font>
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Viktor,

>i can't stop or remove the hostmon service: windows tell me HM don't send any error message in the WK2 events log when I try to stop it!!!

?? Windows cannot stop service because HM does not send error message to the Event Log? But it does not have any sense. What exactly the Windows error message? Or you have French edition and Windows displays message in French?

I did it via TSE the last time and HM cannot send me any mail alert (can't interact with desktop)...

HM must send e-mail in any case, it does not depend on desktop. Try to start HM as regular application and check what error HM displays when it tries to send e-mail. Or you can enable "Record info about failed actions" option and check log (this option enabled by default).

Regards
Alex