KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Service not monitoring when not logged in

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running HM 3.4 as a service on Win2K SP2 and when I log off the computer HM is not testing. When I log on the service is running but it does not show in the system tray. If I start the application by double clicking on the icon it is loaded in the system tray but if I close it I am warned this will stop monitoring but the service is still running.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please provide a little more information? Do you use registered version of HostMonitor? Do you use Terminal Server and login to remote system?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not registered yet, just downloaded yesterday and I am checking to see it meets my needs. Yes I use terminal server to log on to the box. I have read a bunch of your terminal server posts but they did not seem to apply to me. ie I have not changed the system password.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I have read a bunch of your terminal server posts but they did not seem to apply to me. ie I have not changed the system password.

Unfortunately these posts apply to everybody who start HostMonitor in service mode and use Terminal Service to login to remote system (I do not understand why you said about password?). Reason for the problem with icon (and configuration of HostMonitor in service mode) is Windows provide handle of the local desktop and service can display information on local desktop only.

>If I start the application by double clicking on the icon it is loaded in the system tray but if I close it I am warned this will stop monitoring but the service is still running.

Its correct behavior. When you close application it warns you about stop monitoring by this application, it does not say anything about service or another instances of HostMonitor. If you start 10 instances of HostMonitor, each copy will work independently.

>I am running HM 3.4 as a service on Win2K SP2 and when I log off the computer HM is not testing.

How did you check this? HM stops record log? Unregistered version can stop monitoring from time to time but it must inform you about reason. If you start HM as regular application, it displays registration dialog. You can close dialog and monitoting will be continued. In service mode, HM must write record into Event Log when it stops monitoring.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not log a message that HM has stopped. It did tell me last night that it had stopped because it was not registered. But I am not seeing any logging in c:Program FilesHostMonitor3Logs and it is not paging me. Both of these activities happen when I load my .hml in interactive mode. I have to assume the service is not loading my .hml file so it is running not tests and so is not logging. How do I tell it to load a .hml file? I tried to set the /Lists parameter in the service properties dialog but this had no impact.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just login to the server locally (not using Terminal Service), you will see HostMonitor's icon in system tray. Click on icon and check HostMonitor's configuration, check how it works.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not possible, server is 2000 miles away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the server through VNC and I do not see the icon in the system tray. I am assured the view I see through VNC is exactly what I would see if I was present at the machine.
jricha34

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion but how about you load it on a local machine as a service and verify that you are getting the same results locally as you are on the remote server.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replicated the environment on my local lan and attached to my host monitor system using VNC and indeed the system tray icon shows up and I can fully configure and manage the service from the remote machine. So the question remains, why can't I see the sys tray icon when the service is running and how come when I run the application I get logs and notifications but as soon as I stop the application these stop?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed.

I rebooted the server and now I am experiencing correct behavior.

FYI, the sign the service was not running properly was the warning that monitoring would be stopped. Now that I have the service running properly it does not give this warning even when I am connected via terminal services. A user should NEVER recieve this warning if it is intalled as a service even if they are connected via terminal services.

The one thing to remember is that if you make changes to the .hml file via terminal services you have to re-connect via VNC and reload the .hml file after you have saved the changes.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>FYI, the sign the service was not running properly was the warning that monitoring would be stopped. Now that I have the service running properly it does not give this warning even when I am connected via terminal services

Do you mean warning message that displays the program when you close HM ("Are you sure you want to exit? Monitoring will be terminated")? This message does not related to service at all. HM always displays this message when no changes was made and monitoring is active. If you click "Stop" button, HM will not display this message. Also if some changes was not saved, HM ask about save changes and do not ask about stop monitoring.

About reboot server: to change configuration of the service you can just restart service. I said many times in this forum how to configure HM service in case of Terminal Server: "to change configuration you have to stop service, start HM as regular application, change configuration, quit application, start service".

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex.

I did restart the service and that did not work I had to restart the machine I do not know why.

If you are running a service and viewing the monitor desktop you do not get the monitoring will stop warning when you close the desktop. If the service is not running properly you will get this message. THis is true no matter how you are interacting with the desktop.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: