RCI / Web Interface - Monitoring Stopped?

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
dogzilla

RCI / Web Interface - Monitoring Stopped?

Post by dogzilla »

Version : 6.82

When I enable the RCI and Web Interface all monitoring stops and I no longer receive alerts.

Why is this? Host Monitor is installed as a service.
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

Could you provide more information, please?
- What version of HostMonitor do you use?
- What Windows do you use? Service Pack?
- Do you see "RCI enabled" message in the System Log (file if specified in menu "Options" -> "System Log")? You may access the System Log using menu "View" - > "System Log".
- Do you see any errors in System Log?
- Do you use registered or evaluation version of the software? Evaluation version of HostMonitor is fully functional, but it may show registration dialog and pause monitoring until you close registration popup reminder. If evaluation version is started as service, you have to restart the service.
- Do you see "Start" and/or "Enable alerts" button in the toolabar?

Regards,
Max
dogzilla

Post by dogzilla »

Operating System : Windows 2000 Server SP4
Version : 6.82
License : Enterprise

It now seems that i am not getting _any_ monitoring when i close the application. Almost like the service is not working correctly. 2 hostmon processes are in taskmgr. Also whenever i start hostmonitor i have to click START for it to start monitoring? before it automatically did.

I noticed this because i created a fake counter to ping 1.1.1.1 every minute. When i close host-monitor the counters show 5 failed pings. I close it for 20 minutes and come back, it's still on 5 so monitoring is obviously not working? Why?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Please do not start 2 instances of HostMonitor unless you really understand why you are doing this.
If you want to configure HostMonitor that is running in service mode on remote system, use RCC or stop service before starting application.
Please read the following article for details http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/vi ... php?t=1100
Also whenever i start hostmonitor i have to click START for it to start monitoring? before it automatically did.
Please check "Start/Stop" and "Startup delay" settings located on Startup and Service pages in the Options dialog

Regards
Alex
dogzilla

Post by dogzilla »

Ok i understand that i shouldnt run both at the same time. I wont do that any more BUT.

Why is monitoring not working? Application is closed, only service is running, i restart service and still no alerts are coming through.
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

dogzilla wrote:Why is monitoring not working? Application is closed, only service is running, i restart service and still no alerts are coming through.

Please ensure monitoring is started. You may resume monitoring using menu "Monitoring" -> "Start Monitoring".
Please ensure alerts are enabled. You may enable alerts using menu "Monitoring" -> "Enable alerts".
For the testing purposes, you may choose "Repeat until status changes" option in "Action properties" window for the alerts, you set up.
Quote from the manual:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... properties
====================
Repeat: N times; or until status changes
Defines the number of repeats of the action if the status of the test was not changed. For example if you want to send an e-mail to a network administrator only once when test status changes, set this parameter to 1. If you need to execute action every time when test failed, set this option to "until status changes"
====================

Regards,
Max