KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cannot UNC test from Win2000 to NT4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDIT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running HostMonitor 3.50 as a service on Win2000 Server. Creating a UNC disk space test to an NT4 Workstation machince always comes back as UNKNOWN, even if I specify a username that has full rights and a local account on the NT4 machine. I dont want to have to map the drive as I have several NT4 machines and each has several partitions to monitor.
Marcus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the eventlog of the remote machine. This will tell you which account is actually used to perform the test.
BDIT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have checked event log on remote machine and nothing logged. For clarity, setup is:

Local user created on the NT4 machine with full rights to all groups. Machine is logged onto the domain.

Fromthe Win2K server I can use explorer and enter \PCNAMEC$ and connect to the C$ admin share no problem and browse the whole disk without error.

I create a UNC test in HostMonitor picking the UNC path as \PCNAMEC$ but I can see that HostMonitor adds a to the end once I click apply. Maybe NT4 does not support this?

If I then additionally add a username and password of either a domain admin account or a local account with full rights on the local NT4 machine I still get same response of 'unknown' (which seems to be that it could not connect or access the NT4 machine.

Doing exactly the same test to a Win2K machine all works well even without specifying a local username or password.

This seems to be same type of issue as reading the eventlog on an NT4 machine where to a Win2K machine is fine.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I am running HostMonitor 3.50 as a service on Win2000 Server

Have you specified user account on Service page in the Options dialog?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I create a UNC test in HostMonitor picking the UNC path as PCNAMEC$ but I can see that HostMonitor adds a to the end once I click apply. Maybe NT4 does not support this?

There is a difference between mapping a share and getting information from a share. Adding a slash when not mapping a drive should work.

When not being able to connect to shares, there must be a access violation in the security log. Otherwise you are permitted.

The only other thing I could think of is you have HM running under the system account which is not allowed to perform *any* task outside its own server. In that case you won't reach the remote server, which should explain why there is no security logging.
BDIT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was it. Once I added a system account login, everything worked fine.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: