HM for 64bit Server 2008

General chat about HostMonitor
Taomyn

HM for 64bit Server 2008

Post by Taomyn »

Any word on a 64bit version of HM for Windows 2008 or at least an updated 32bit version that allows the system tray icon to appear (disabled by the new security model for Wink28 and Vista services)? It's a pain having to stop the service and then run a local copy each time I need to access HM.

TIA
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

Sorry, there is no way to put the icon into system tray for the interactive services in Vista/Windows Server 2008. In previous Windows versions, all services run in the same session as the first user who logs on. This session is called session 0. In Windows Vista/Server 2008, only system processes and services run in session 0. Vista isolates services in session 0 and makes session 0 noninteractive. The user logs on to session 1, and runs applications in this session. There are 2 possible solutions:

1. Use Remote Control Console (RCC) that allows you to manage HostMonitor started on local or remote system in service or application mode.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm
2. You may create simple BAT file that will stop service, start HostMonitor in application mode and (after you change settings and terminate application) start service again.
E.g.

Code: Select all

net stop hostmonservice
      "c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
      net start hostmonservice
Regards,
Max
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

KS-Soft Europe wrote:Sorry, there is no way to put the icon into system tray for the interactive services in Vista/Windows Server 2008. In previous Windows versions, all services run in the same session as the first user who logs on. This session is called session 0. In Windows Vista/Server 2008, only system processes and services run in session 0. Vista isolates services in session 0 and makes session 0 noninteractive. The user logs on to session 1, and runs applications in this session. There are 2 possible solutions:

1. Use Remote Control Console (RCC) that allows you to manage HostMonitor started on local or remote system in service or application mode.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm
2. You may create simple BAT file that will stop service, start HostMonitor in application mode and (after you change settings and terminate application) start service again.
E.g.

Code: Select all

net stop hostmonservice
      "c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
      net start hostmonservice
Regards,
Max
Yes, that's what I'd heard and why everyone is having to split the GUI out of the main process and use a separate program for the system tray. It's obviously possible as the likes of McAfee still have their icon.

Thanks for the tips, I will look at each one.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Yes, that's what I'd heard and why everyone is having to split the GUI out of the main process and use a separate program for the system tray. It's obviously possible as the likes of McAfee still have their icon.
Yes it is possible. That's why we provide RCC. It shows the icon, right?
BTW RCC provides mone benefits than just an icon in system tray. It allows you to manage HostMonitor remotely, it allows several operators to work with HostMonitor at the same time.

Regards
Alex
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

KS-Soft wrote:
Yes it is possible. That's why we provide RCC. It shows the icon, right?
BTW RCC provides mone benefits than just an icon in system tray. It allows you to manage HostMonitor remotely, it allows several operators to work with HostMonitor at the same time.

Regards
Alex
Unfortunately, when adding it to the "Startup" folder and even when setting the shortcut to "Minimise on start", it still leaves an ugly taskbar item - maybe I should be starting it differently (currently using ""C:\Program Files (x86)\HostMonitor\rcc.exe" -uniqueprofiles -storepassword -autoconnect"). Also, the connection window is annoying and hitting the "X" to close either window kills the application rather than just minimising it again.

Needs a few tweaks before it can replace the main GUI, but it does all that you say it should.

Also, in view of the 2008 issue, will RCC be free for use for local machine connections for versions lower than Enterprise? Paying to connect to the local machine doesn't sit too well.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Also, in view of the 2008 issue, will RCC be free for use for local machine connections for versions lower than Enterprise?
Yes, I think we should do that. Thanks for the hint
Unfortunately, when adding it to the "Startup" folder and even when setting the shortcut to "Minimise on start", it still leaves an ugly taskbar item - maybe I should be starting it differently (currently using ""C:\Program Files (x86)\HostMonitor\rcc.exe" -uniqueprofiles -storepassword -autoconnect").
Not sure I understand what exactly "ugly taskbar item" means... we will check that

Regards
Alex