performance counter error

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
chunlan

performance counter error

Post by chunlan »

Hi,
when I set up a test to monitor the available memory via performance counters.

The test is \\x.x.x.x\Memory\Available MBytes. When configuring the test I am able to click "Get current value" the response I get is "Error: Unable to connect to specified machine" , the target machine is Windows 2000, 2003. Need I enable some services on the target machine?
Please help me , thanks.
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

What account do you use to start HostMonitor? We recommend to start HostMonitor under admins account. You may specify certain account for HostMonitor service into "Options" -> "Service" tab.

Also, please make sure:
1) RPC service is started on target machine
2) Remote Registry Service is started on target machine
3) PerfOS.DLL is enabled on target machine
4) PerfProc.DLL is enabled on target machine
5) There is no firewall between systems
6) Check if "admin" account has KEY_READ access to the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib.
To view/change permissions to the registry key you can use the registry editor utility (Regedt32.exe).

Microsoft provides "Extensible Counter List" utility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
This utility displays list of DLLs that are used to support Performance Counters, using the utility you may disable/enable specific DLLs.

Regards,
Max