KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

URL request test bug

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igor Bareev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alex!

I have found an interesting feature... or bug... or bugofeature in URL request test.

Initial situation: I want to test several URLs of a Web site via HTTPS (so I cannot use HTTP request test). Some of them are protected by password, some are available for anonymous access.

The problem is that the test for anonymous URL fails with "No answer" error code, but undeed, the error return code is 403 (Forbidden).

I have reproduced the problem in the Web browser:

1. Open browser;
2. Get the password-protected URL -- it works Ok;
3. In THE SAME browser window try to get the non-protected URL -- and you'll get 403-Forbidden;

If you will do the same operations but in the different browser windows, it works fine.

HostMonitor gives the response "No answer" in this situation, but in fact it is not "no answer". This problem is critical for us at the moment.

The possible ways to resolve the problem:
1. Add HTTP return code reporting in URL test
2. Add HTTP return code based conditions in URL test
3. Enable HTTPS in HTTP request test
4. Add HTTP return code macro for reporting

Another exciting feature could be possibility to have debug log for certain tests -- just to know how test was executed and what exactly failed. Now, I know that test failed but don't know why, and investigation of possible failure reasons is very complicated because of lack of information.

Best regards,
Igor Bareev, registered KS-HostMon user
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>HostMonitor gives the response "No answer" in this situation, but in fact it is not "no answer". This problem is critical for us at the moment.

Ok, there is update at http://www.ks-soft.net/download/hm365.zip
In case server sends response but HTTP code is error code (403, 404, etc), HostMonitor will use "Bad" status.

>1. Add HTTP return code reporting in URL test

Yes, will be implemented "display mode" option.

>2. Add HTTP return code based conditions in URL test

Ok, I added this task into "to do" list with medium priority.

>3. Enable HTTPS in HTTP request test

In future versions will be implemended HTTPS test

>4. Add HTTP return code macro for reporting

It will not be nesessary when #1 will be implemented.

BTW there is another way to correct this problem: ask Microsoft to fix wininet.dll

>Another exciting feature could be possibility to have debug log for certain tests -- just to know how test was executed and what exactly failed. Now, I know that test failed but don't know why, and investigation of possible failure reasons is very complicated because of lack of information.

It will increase size of HostMonitor, memory requirements, etc. We have command line test utilities for some kinds of tests (for MS SQL, MySQL, service test, etc). May be in HM version 4 will be included separated GUI application for testing purposes.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: