KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

DCOM errors in eventlog

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see alot of these errors in the eventlog on the machine running HostMon v3.6:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <servername> using any of the configured protocols.

during this time, the destination computer gets about 5 IISRESET commands over the course of about 5-10 seconds (that's the action we setup if 'bad'). And we get 3-4 of these DCOM errors over the course of several minutes and then they stop.

We do have 'retry until status change' checked, but the test interval is 5mins.

Why so many tries, and why does DCOM error-out sometimes and not others? BTW: we recently upgraded from v1.78 - we did not have this problem.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>during this time, the destination computer gets about 5 IISRESET commands over the course of about 5-10 seconds (that's the action we setup if 'bad'). And we get 3-4 of these DCOM errors over the course of several minutes and then they stop.
We do have 'retry until status change' checked, but the test interval is 5mins.

Are you trying to say that error appears when HostMonitor performs some actions? Or test? Which one? "Restart service" action?

HostMonitor does not use COM technology for performing any of the action. It uses COM to perform "Script" test, also some dialog windows use COM (e.g. when you select computer in "Browse for computer" window).

So, I think this message does not related to HostMonitor. Probably some another application uses COM object on computer <servername>.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Are you trying to say that error appears when HostMonitor performs some actions? Or test? Which one? "Restart service" action?

Yes, I believe the errors appear when HostMon performs an action. The action we have setup is "Run External Program". The "External Program" is a batch file that runs and IISRESET on the remote machine.

thanks for the info on COM and I understand if HM doesn't use it, but when this happens, HM sends out a flurry of e-mail alerts and repeatedly executes the batch program.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>We do have 'retry until status change' checked, but the test interval is 5mins.

>HM sends out a flurry of e-mail alerts and repeatedly executes the batch program.

All e-mail alerts report about the same test? Its because you use "Retry: until status changes" option. And may be you use "Change test interval" or "Repeat test" actions?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>And may be you use "Change test interval" or "Repeat test" actions?

I don't see these actions... so I must not be using them?

We've stopped using the HM Service and now we leave the box logged in with the App running. Seems to be much better....

KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I don't see these actions... so I must not be using them?

You can use them. But if you use "Retry: until status changes" option together with "Repeat test" action, HostMonitor will start actions again and agains until test status changes.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: