Changing the test method

Need new test, action, option? Post request here.
Wbtrans

Post by Wbtrans »

I wonder why when one goes into edit mode, nearly all parameters can be changed except the test method. Why is this?
I had a ping test which I wanted to convert to a HTTP test. The only way to do this is to delete the test and recreate a new one from scratch. Not very efficient though!
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

How it can be possible to convert Ping test into HTTP test? HTTP test has completelly different parameters (URL, Request method, Check CRC, Download Images, Enable cookies), how it can be converted from Ping test? Or how can be possible to convert Service test into ODBC test?

Regards
Alex
Wbtrans

Post by Wbtrans »

Convert is maybe not the right word to use. I just want to select another test. I assumed that the "test method" is an attribute of a test, just like the alert profile, the test interval etc. When editing an existing test, I can modify all these parameters, why can I not select another test than the one I originally selected? Sorry, but this does not appear logical to me??
Walter
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Test method is not a property of the test, its test. How you can convert apple into grape? If you have a car, you can change color, tires, steering-wheel but you cannot convert Toyota Echo into Chevrolet Suburban.

Regards
Alex
Wbtrans

Post by Wbtrans »

That is exactly the point. It is a question of design. I am sure you could have made the test method a property of the test. The test itself would be nothing else than a container for properties such as test method, alert pattern, interval, name, etc. This approach would avoid one to have to delete an entire test and recreate it just because one wants to carry out a different test.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

It will not be implemented

Regards
Alex

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KS-Soft on 2003-03-28 17:37 ]</font>
BHarvey

Post by BHarvey »

This can definitely be a big help when creating multiple tests for a specific host. The ability to copy a test, then just change the test type and adjust a couple of parameters is much easier than having to set dependencies, time, schedule, alerting, and logging for each test.

I do appreciate that you can select multiple tests and modify the common parameters (such as those listed above) as a group.

Whether or not it gets implemented, this is just a wish list. We all appreciate your responsiveness to the high demands we put on you, and are very much looking forward to v4.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I still don't like idea of changing test method. Lets think in different way. What about some templates those can hold common test properties + "Use teplate..." button (or combo box) in Test Properties dialog?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

>What about some templates those can hold common test properties + "Use teplate..." button (or combo box)

If a user can define the templates, it would remove my scripts I use for this purpose. I would welcome it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marcus on 2003-04-13 08:29 ]</font>
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Yes, of course user will be able to change template parameters, create new templates, etc.

Regards
Alex