Multiple dependant tests

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
rbaca

Multiple dependant tests

Post by rbaca »

I have several hosts on a remote network across a VPN. I ping the router to test Inet connectivity then ping the internal interface on the firewall to test VPN connectivity. Sometimes the pings fail but the VPN is still good so I have a dependant test that performs SSH into the internal interface on the firewall if the ping test fails.

The HM server agents depend on the ping because if they depend on the SSH they will all "Wait for Master" and don't test. So, they depend on the ping but when the ping fails and the VPN is still good, the tests revert to "Wait for Master" for the duration of the failed ping test.

I have tried several iterations of advanced actions like this:
(('%::PING-TEST::SimpleStatus%'=='Host is alive') and ('%::SSH-TEST::SimpleStatus%'=='Wait for Master')) or ('%::SSH-TEST::SimpleStatus%'=='Host is alive')

and I have tried multiple dependancies, but the server tests revert to "Wait for Master" when I do this. Is there a way to "or" multiple dependancies?
AntonyP

Post by AntonyP »

Set an action for the failed test to:

repeat the test for, let's say, 10 times
change frequency to, let's say, 5 secs

This way you will avoid getting false "waiting for master" condition of the other tests.
rbaca

Multiple dependant tests

Post by rbaca »

I am not sure I understand.
I already have the ping repeating the test 5 times. What do you mean by "change frequency to, let's say, 5 secs"? Would this be an advanced action? What will the script look like to do this?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

and I have tried multiple dependancies, but the server tests revert to "Wait for Master" when I do this. Is there a way to "or" multiple dependancies?
Yes, test may depend on several master tests. You may use the same expressions like you are using for "advanced" actions.
But I think its better to change ping test settings to make it more reliable - increase Timeout, number of packets.

Regards
Alex
AntonyP

Re: Multiple dependant tests

Post by AntonyP »

rbaca wrote:I am not sure I understand.
I already have the ping repeating the test 5 times. What do you mean by "change frequency to, let's say, 5 secs"? Would this be an advanced action? What will the script look like to do this?
Ok, assuming that the test reports alert. Set an option in action menu to:

1) repeat test 10 times
2) change test interval to 5 secs
3) if the test reports alert for those 10 time, THEN send an email