Hostmon 6 Beta - memory leak?

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
Mike Metcalf

Hostmon 6 Beta - memory leak?

Post by Mike Metcalf »

Hi there,

I upgraded to the latest version on monday and since then the hostmon service seems to be using more and more memory without ever releasing it.

I'm running on XP SP2, if that helps.

Obviously I can get round this by restarting the service but that's only fixing the symptom rather than the cause.
KS-Soft Europe

Re: Hostmon 6 Beta - memory leak?

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

Mike Metcalf wrote:I upgraded to the latest version on monday and since then the hostmon service seems to be using more and more memory without ever releasing it.
Could you please send your configuration files to support@ks-soft.net? We will try to reproduce the problem. We need hostmon.ini, all .lst and .hml files.

Regards,
Max
Mike Metcalf

Memory Leak

Post by Mike Metcalf »

Hi there,

Sorry about not getting back in touch with you today, i've been snowed under with other things that also needed my attention.

I'll try to do what I agreed tomorrow and let you know the results ASAP.

Regards,

Mike
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Thank you for the files.
We have tested 9 instances of HostMonitor on 3 systems (Windows 2000 SP3, Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1).
We started 3 copy of HostMonitor on each system:
- 1st instance: HostMonitor version 6.00 using your configuration files
- 2nd instance: HostMonitor version 5.86 using your configuration files
Both instances use exactly the same amount of resources. No memory leakage.

Also we have tested 3rd instance of HostMonitor version 6.00 using only URL test items from your configuration file. We decided to create special list with URL items because this is the only test method that was modified in version 6.00. We changed test interval from 5 min to 30 sec to see what happens. HostMonitor performed over 18,000 tests, no resource leakage detected.

Of course we could not reproduce exactly the same configuration as yours because HostMonitor cannot access your systems to perform Performance Counter and file related test methods, etc.
But we have not changed any test method except URL test and we have not changed any action method in version 6.00. So, it should not lead to any resource leakage problem.

Could you please provide more information:
1) What exactly means "more and more memory"? How much? If HostMonitor uses 10-25 MB of memory, its fine for your configuration
2) What version you have used before version 6.00?
3) Are you sure that version works in different way? Could you start old version?
4) Have you done some changes to the system recently? May be you have installed some security patches for Windows? Antivirus monitor? Personal firewall? Content monitoring software?

Regards
Alex
darmen

service hang on

Post by darmen »

we are also suffering from a similar situation.we are using windows 2003 server w/ SP1 and hostmonitor6.10.Often but not regularly, processes such as hostmon.exe and webservice.exe hangs on and not releases the resources(ex: ports) .I dont thint that is related with the version of hostmonitor cause the previous versions were also problemous in this manner..

Thanks..
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

"hangs" means GUI does not respond at all?
Could you check resource usage (Memory, User, GDI object) when this problem occurs?

Regards
Alex
darmen

Post by darmen »

Gui does not responds(throws 'Page can not be displayed'), can not kill webservice.exe from task managerand it doen not releases the port it uses. Resource usage seems normal to me:

Memory usage: 4352K
User Objects: 34
GDI object:74

Thereafter. I've changed the port settings of webservice and started a new one. Now, I can see 2 webservice.exe services ,one can not be killed..
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Gui does not responds(throws 'Page can not be displayed')
HostMonitor's GUI cannot display such message. I assume your web browser shows this message because Web Service does not respond while HostMonitor works fine. Am I right?
We never heard about such odd problem before. Could you install our software on clean system (no personal firewalls, no antivirus monitoring software, no non-standard winsock components)?
Resource usage seems normal to me
What about other processes and total resource usage?

Regards
Alex