Hostmon as a service and Terminal server

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
FrancWest

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

I want to run HostMon on a Win2K server which we access remotely using terminal services. However, if I follow the steps in the manual the icon doesn't appear in the system tray when the serivce is started. I've read the remarks in the manual about using the system account and specifying the actual account in HostMon itself, this doesn't work in my case. Is it in fact possible to use HostMon on a server which you access using terminal servies ?

Franc.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Service CANNOT interract with remote desktop because Windows provides local desktop handle for the service. That's why you do not see HostMonitor's icon, HM displays icon on local desktop (on system where HM is started).
Yes, you can use HM in this mode. But to change configuration you have to stop service, start HM as application, change configuration, quit application, start service.
I think in future will be implemented some "remote HM manager", but not very soon.

Regards
Alex

Post by Guest »

Now I am confused.
Right now I am working on my maschine via Terminal Service, and HM is running as a service.
It looks to me, that I can use everything the same way, like I was physically sitting in front of my PC.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Its truth for regular application that was started after Terminal Server created new session. Services those was started before you logged in doesn't know anything about this session. 99% of services does not care about desktop and user session at all because they don't interract with user.

Regards
Alex
M@ster

Post by M@ster »

Maybe I have an answer (to my anonymous post).
I used Windows XP when I wrote that post. With it, you can only let one person work on one computer. If I log on remote, my local session gets locked. Maybe it is not a fully functional Terminal Service?